Sunday, July 7, 2013

Between a rock & a hard place

I wish I had something new or interesting to report, but unfortunately I don't.  Nick remains in Cairo, even as Egypt descended into a close approximation of chaos on Friday, with 36 people killed in clashes between pro- and anti-Morsi groups and the military.  The past two days have been quieter, although I guess there are some protests flaring up again as I type.  The US government still hasn't figured out its position on recent events, Nick is still waiting for instructions from Washington, and I'm still losing my damn mind over the fact that my husband is stuck in country that is tearing itself apart and that I just don't know if I'm going to Cairo or not.  

Honestly, up until this point the protests haven't really caused me to worry too much about Nick's safety, because they haven't been directed at Americans.  Unlike when we were in Kabul, where Americans were definitely targets, it's seemed to me that the real risk of being an American in Cairo  was the chance of ending up in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting caught in the middle of what's essentially a civil (religious?) war.

But now that Morsi is out, it appears that the Muslim Brotherhood and the liberals are both looking for a scapegoat additional enemies to attack, and they've both set their sights on the US. The liberals dislike the US for recognizing/supporting Morsi, and the Muslim Brotherhood dislike the US for not preventing his removal from office.  And unfortunately they do have a point, as Morsi was voted into office by democratic and fair-ish elections.  There's a better explanation here Anti-Americanism flares in Egypt as protests rage over Morsi's ouster.  To sum it all up:  "It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't quagmire in which the US appears to have alienated both sides, underscoring waning American influence and credibility as it attempts to navigate the turmoil."

So now I start to worry. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. So sorry. That is enough to make anyone crazy. I really hope things get figured out for you guys soon. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete